Friday, December 28, 2007

362 Days to go!

This morning coming down the stairs I discovered the count down to "Christmas Santa" had a new block added to it. Timmy "borrowed" A die from one of his games and added it to the counter-so it now reads 362 days to go! What can I say we Love Christmas here! I have agreed to leave the Santa counter up even after January 1st when we take down the Christmas decorations, Known as the De Christmasing Party! Now normall I leave all the decorations up until Epiphany but I am back to work next week Thursday the 3rd -so I will need to use the time I have.
What is a De-Christmasing Party you ask??? Every year I do 2 themed Christmas trees. When it is De-Christmasing time the children take turns choosing the themed ornaments to add to their Christmas boxes. Now you can imagine Jamie and KayLee have enough ornaments after 20 plus years to fully decorate their own full sized tree- however Timmy is still excited and growing his collection. During the De-Christmasing Party we also make a final decision on our themes for the following year. So far the basement tree theme that is winning is a "tool" theme, and the upstairs Theme is between Peace and Star Light Star bright. Jamie will have to email in his vote as he is still in California.
It is the fourth day of Christmas here and the snow is falling again! The Twelve Days of Christmas is probably the most misunderstood part of the church year . Contrary to much popular belief, these are not the twelve days before Christmas, but in most of the Western Church are the twelve days from Christmas until the beginning of Epiphany (January 6th; the 12 days count from December 25th until January 5th). Epiphany is usually celebrated as the time the Wise Men or Magi arrived to present gifts to the young Jesus (Matt. 2:1-12). Traditionally there were three Magi, probably from the fact of three gifts, even though the biblical narrative never says how many Magi came.
On the 1st day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

The partridge in a pear tree is Jesus the Christ, the Son of God, whose birthday we celebrate on December 25, the first day of Christmas.

On the 2nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Two Turtle DovesThe Old and New Testaments, which together bear witness to God's self-revelation in history and the creation of a people to tell the Story of God to the world.


On the 3rd day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Three French HensThe Three Theological Virtues: 1) Faith, 2) Hope, and 3) Love (1 Corinthians 13:13)


On the 4th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Four Calling BirdsThe Four Gospels: 1) Matthew, 2) Mark, 3) Luke, and 4) John,

On the 5th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Five Gold RingsThe first Five Books of the Old Testament, known as the Torah or the Pentateuch: 1) Genesis, 2) Exodus, 3) Leviticus, 4) Numbers, and 5) Deuteronomy

On the 6th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Six Geese A-layingThe six days of creation that confesses God as Creator and Sustainer of the world (Genesis 1).


On the 7th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Seven Swans A-swimmingThe seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: 1) prophecy, 2) ministry, 3) teaching, 4) exhortation, 5) giving, 6) leading, and 7) compassion

On the 8th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Eight Maids A-milkingThe eight Beatitudes: 1) Blessed are the poor in spirit, 2) those who mourn, 3) the meek, 4) those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, 5) the merciful, 6) the pure in heart, 7) the peacemakers, 8) those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake.

On the 9th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Nine Ladies DancingThe nine Fruit of the Holy Spirit: 1) love, 2) joy, 3) peace, 4) patience, 5) kindness,6) generosity, 7) faithfulness, 8) gentleness, and 9) self-control.

On the 10th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Ten Lords A-leapingThe ten commandments: 1) You shall have no other gods before me; 2) Do not make an idol; 3) Do not take God's name in vain; 4) Remember the Sabbath Day; 5) Honor your father and mother; 6) Do not murder; 7) Do not commit adultery; 8) Do not steal; 9) Do not bear false witness; 10) Do not covet.


On the 11th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Eleven Pipers PipingThe eleven Faithful Apostles: 1) Simon Peter, 2) Andrew, 3) James, 4) John, 5) Philip, 6) Bartholomew, 7) Matthew, 8) Thomas, 9) James bar Alphaeus, 10) Simon the Zealot, 11) Judas bar James.

On the 12th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
Twelve Drummers DrummingThe twelve points of doctrine in the Apostles' Creed: 1) I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. 2) I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord. 3) He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. 4) He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell [the grave]. 5) On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. 6) He will come again to judge the living and the dead. 7) I believe in the Holy Spirit, 8) the holy catholic Church, 9) the communion of saints, 10) the forgiveness of sins, 11) the resurrection of the body, 12) and life everlasting.
Epiphany, January 6


So enjoys these days of Christmas- Reread the Christmas Cards- look at the pictures- remember the magic and keep in alive in your heart for at least another 8 days.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

Happy New Year, Deboer Family.

We love you.

Lisa