Friday, January 2, 2009

Mid Life Crisis

Since getting close to the big 50 as in OHHHHHHHH. I have found myself drawn to looking at Mustangs-not the horse but the cars. My very first car was a Marc I Mustang. It had a V8 engine, 4 on the floor, leather bucket seats, rear spoiler, and seemed to purr at around 80 miles per hour. Now granted gasoline was 59 cents a gallon, and we were using 8 track tapes, but that ride hugged the road with it's "possee" traction, turned on a dime and could go from zero to 59 in around 5 seconds. The backset was big enough for a couple 6 packs of TAB. It was a car build for speed. Back in those days the cars were made with steel. You know the strong stuff! So on a winter morning when the car slid into a tree, both my passenger and I walked out of the car unhurt. The car on the other hand was toast. (Unfortunately so was the friendship as the girls mother wouldn't let her talk to me again.) I do have this last picture of my baby out at Gun Lake. She still looks sweet.


I know there are many people who love their BMW and German engineering. Volvo's have the market cornered on Safety. KEA has the market cornered on Cheap. Toyota gets the nod for reliability. As for me- no one makes a muscle car as cool as the Motor City. I've driven a couple of motor bikes in my 20's, a Camero, a Geo Prism, a Ford Truck, and (shudder) a Mercury Lynx, and now a B.onneville. I've done a few test drives in Porsche. Nothing and I mean nothing can compare to the road hugging horse called Mustang.


We have always bought American cars. Since my husband gave four years of his life to defend this country we have been committed to American Made products. I love the innovation and design in American cars. I love looking at the cars in the auto show. American cars have smoother lines, are less boxy and actually employ Americans. We have recently heard alot about the American car makers not keepong up-but come on- do you really think one of those tiny little Chinese cars called ‘Flybo-EV‘ that can reach top speeds of 45mph (Thats once you’ve had the limiter taken off, otherwise its 25mph), could handle the winters in the Mid West??? How do you think any of them will last if they end up kissing a tree in the ice and snow? Squish...unfortunately it will be squashed while carrying real human beings.

On the other hand my mustang weighs more and actually has to meet safety standards. Here are a couple I havebeen drolling over. Maybe in the spring one of them will be mine.


Fab at 50!

2 comments:

PunditMom said...

Hmmm. Since I already have hit the 5-0, maybe I need to reconsider what I'm driving!

Lisa said...

What year was that Mustang? My best friend in high school had a car virtually identical to that one. Hers was silver. We called it the The 'Stang. It was, for lack of a better word (and because this one is soooo 1982 - the year we graduated), SWEET!!!!

Admittedly, though, I do love me BMW in a sick and wrong way. I know. I know. I'll shut up.

L.