Saturday, January 24, 2009

Life as a Single Parent

No I did not divorce my husband. However with him traveling out of town for 4 days in a row I did get a taste of going it alone. This experience increase exponentially my respect for women that do this day in and day out. It was ...quieter....more stressful and exhausting.

After a long day of teaching I had to hurry out of the building to pick my own child up from After School care. The hours after school you of course have to pay for. Then home to help him with his homework, prepare the evening meal, send him off to bed, pick up the house, do laundry, do homeowrk for school and drop into bed around 11:30 p.m. Up at 6:00in the morning to make breakfast, pack lunches, drive the little one to school and then myself to work. Mix in a liberal amount of midwestern blizzards and slippery roads, and you get the picture of a frazzeled MOM!

Thankfully my husband returned home this Friday and I am spending my Saturday catching up on school work, blogging, buying jewelry on ebay, and napping. He is in town all next week so I once again to share driving and dinner making. God Bless all of those single mothers out there that work and raise their families...

At least with the Lilly Ledbetter, legislation passing in the Senate by a vote of 61 to 36, equal pay for equal work will become the law of the land. The bill is now headed to President Obama's desk for signing. I will never forget that I only took 3 weeks maternity leave from my first teaching position because they would not allow me to use my sick days . Going without 3 weeks of pay was about all my family could handle so it was back to work I went. During the same school year a male teacher hurt his back and he was not only allowed to use his 10 sick days but was also paid for the entire 6 weeks he was off because he was "Head" of his family.

The Ledbetter legislatiom will at least allow all those single moms out there struggling to make an evener playing field.

No comments: