Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick boom...

Can you hear the clock ticking...can you feel the school year winding down?? Today if you visited where I work you would have thought that it WAS the last day of school. Middle school temperments being what they are-unpredictable at best-disrespectful at their worse- It was---quite a day. One of those days when I question why I choose teaching for 50,000 over being a lawyer. I remember well that turning point when my college advisor said-"You simply must choose...The Law and all it offers or tiny feet ,tiny toes and wearing last years clothes". I admit I was unhappy with how he seemed to view teaching-especially since he WAS a college Prof- Being my optimist self-I of course saw teaching as the noblest of professions. His statement drove me right into the arms of the education department. There I was nutured and told talent belonged with the children blah blah blah....





Now for the most part I LOVE my job-low pay and all. BUT did I mention that although I may indeed view the profession as honorable-that is NOT the view shared by my students. Comments from today, " Mrs. D. you are pretty smart...what happened that you ended up teaching? Did you get into trouble or something? This is not to mention that as my 8th graders are about to leave and...care not at all ....about anything anyone thinks. In my overly optimist self I decided inside of them researching a report on a historical event I would have the kids work in groups and construct a model set, create clay figures out of clay, and produce a stop motion movie. Something I thought would would be...wait for it...fun!!!! Oh no--I am expecting too much. with 5 days to work on their sets they look like they were thrown together-which is exactly what they were. Because I was told--computer is not like a "REAL" class. I replied that since it was NOt real then there parents wouldn't mind a the Unreal F they would get on the project. I tried to explain thatg in any job you have-you have to do the projects assigned to you whether you find them delightful or not. Huffs-rolling eyes--This was not the day I love my job. A little respect here???? Gee do you think they will take a 48 year old back in college to try the Law???



So here I will leave you with a view of these last days

No comments: