Saturday, May 10, 2008

Remembering My Mother



My mother was born in 1923 and lived through the great depression and WWII. She lost her first love on the Arizona when it was bombed on December 7th 1941, and married his best friend. Later when she discovered he had cheated on her, her heart was broken once again. She married my father after that because he had two children and she longed to be a mother. After just 2 short years of marriage I arrived on the scene-much to my father's dismay and displeasure.

My mother managed to keep the home fires burning while Dad made the money. We lived well but dreaded his times at home and as my mother's health declined my father was less than supportive. My mother bore much in her short 67 years on this earth.Jamie and Kaylee were great joy to her and I wish she could have known my Timmy. It was not until after my mother died that I really got to know her as a person. I spent many hours reading her love letters and realizing how destiny changed her life. I remember her husband coming back one day whenI was in Kindergarten and him proclaiming he would always love her and my mother refsuing to leave a new husband and take me because it would mean leaving my 1/2 brother and sister. She alkways had a sense of style, and of grace. She lived by her principles and I still miss her advice. There is no one that loves quite as much as your mother. There is no one who knows you better.

This mother's day I remember my mother who lived through much, sacraficed in all, and now looks over my family from above. I remember how once a year I got to play hooky from school and the two of us would get to do something special. I remember how she shared her love of books with me and encouraged me to go to college. She was Irish and English and above all she was a mother.










3 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy Mother's Day to you Kelley. You learned much from her. You are a great mother to your three beautiful children. I hope you're having a wonderful day.

Love and miss you.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Happy mothers day to you. Tell Ms. Katie her Hosta's are starting to come up!

We are currently living through the yellow purge from the pine trees-The rain today is welcome to get ride of the yellow pollen dust.

There is a house for sale right down the street-does it have your nameon it???

Kelley

Lisa said...

Do you think they might rent it to me for a month? So I can try it on for size?

I miss my rambling ranch.

See you in 67 days. Or, thereabouts.

Love you guys.
Lisa