Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day




This year I got a little behind and found myself going to the cemetery on Memorial Day instead of the previous weekend. I was struck by the large number of people there, the rows of flowers and flags. Each kind soul was once someones child, many mothers or fathers, sisters or brothers, neighbors and friends. A field full of memories. When I placed the flowers on the graves of my Uncle Dick, Grand Parents, Mother, Uncle Johnny and Aunt Eddy, tears filled my eyes. Their simple names on those brozen markers brought back floods of memories and I realized how they had all enriched my life and how I still miss their physical presence.


Looking up at the clear blue sky, I remembered how Uncle Dick would joke that I would have to walk up those long stairs to visit him. As I puffed my way to the top I could almost hear his laughter. Uncle Dick is buried right behind the statue of the navy soilder. On this particular day I thought it appropriate to share a photo or two, as we remember not only our family members who have passed but also those who have served our country.




No comments: