Friday, May 4, 2007

How is someone with the name DeBoer Irish?

  1. I married the man I loved and forgave him the dutch name. I somehow knew he was one for me when he presented me with a pair of wooden shoes with shamrocks painted on the toes! How could I resist such a corny yet lovely gesture. Seriously though, my heart belongs to that Emerald Island so far away ,that I visited all those years ago on my honeymoon. Even though that was over 20 years and 3 children ago, some nights I can still smell her sweet earth and hear the sound of the ocean waves crashing against the rocks on the Cliffs of Moher in County Galway (official Irish name: Gaillimh).

    After working on my family history these past two years my yearning for Ireland now seems to make sense. My family line on my mothers side includes Mannings, Dunnings, Truax, Kieft (a bit of dutch) and O'Keefe's. On my father;s side Loew (soen),Tobins, Haley's Hallorans , McGarth's and more. It seems that Galway was indeed in my blood as my family lines are from County Galway, Clare, and Cork.

    While the Emerald Isle is many miles and dollars away I celebrate her in thanksgiving for my family who 5 grenerations ago claimed this new land, America as their new home. The Irish sense of family they brought with them, the music, the culture and the love endures from our homeland . So if I wax on a bit and take a few liberties with descriotions-you will know ,"'Tis just a bit aof Irish Blarney-the poor dear cannot help herself".

No comments: