Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas is Past

The day after Christmas for many people seems to be more shopping. Unreal-unbelievable-and so not me!
My morning began sleeping in to the Blessed Hour of 9:00 A.M. Then the cleaning. Being a working mother these days off give me time to scrub, clean and rearrange. Today in between a quick riding lesson I vacuumed and scrubbed and even cleaned one closet. it is mindless work that allows me a bit of reflection so here goes..Family room and dinette done. Tomorrow the kitchen and living room. Wednesday bathrooms, and Thursday the upstairs.

What I gave for Christmas. So much more interesting than bragging about what I got. I gave zero gift cards this year-while practical and loved by so many they lack that personal touch-so here is what I gave and why.

1. To My Secret Santa at work who recently had a power outage and was a bite freaked out with light and nothing to do- A bag with chocolate wine, wine glass and a flashlight kit.  She got such a big laugh out of the gift that I know when she uses the flashlight she will remember her story of crawling across the floor without light.

2. To my husband who loves "The  Christmas Story Movie" Timmy and I got him THE MAJOR AWARD=That's right the famous leg lamp. I have a feeling it is going in his den window in front of the house-Ah electric gleaming lite up leg-right here in Cascade. Walgreen's had the lamp and it was a mission to  get it in the house without him seeing it. Well worth it to experience the laugh when he opened it. To make it even more perfect he was of course watching the movie A Christmas story in TBS when he opened it!
3.To my youngest son the builder- a Lego Wii remote. It actually works with his Wii and has extra Lego blocks. I envision a village build around the remote made out of-what else Lego's. I also got him an iPod charger that is an alarm clock. The best part is the bed shaker attachment that vibrates under his pillow. He liked the charger part. The alarm clock was needed.  I am loving the idea of the bed shaker......umm a gift that keeps on giving. Gives new meaning to "Shake it Baby Shake it!"


4. To My Oldest son Jamie I sent a 4 Gig USB bracelet for his college data files,  and travel luggage. He says it's a gift that says "visit home more often"- I actually got it because I was stumped as to what to get him and it was on an interest list of Gifts for the Young Adult. However I do love the idea of him visiting home more often.

5. To everyone who came to Manning Christmas- An Ornament showing some aspect of family.

6 . With 2010 students- I bought mints=lots of mints I handed out all day.

7. I got the teenagers lotion and eye makeup, or nail polish and a nail kit. I got the three 3 year old's a winter scarf, hat and matching mittens along with a my little pony. I gave Austin a Detective Kit, Keenan a set of green soldiers like the ones on toy story. Just like the set Robbie played with when he was little.
8. We brought dinner down to my sister in law and her family and enjoyed the seeing their expressions for their little gifts. Travel insulated coffee cups for Randy who whenever I saw him in the hospital was off to get a beverage which wouldn't stay cold. A nice ring for BZ because she knows I always get her jewelry-it's a girl thing. I got Jacob noise resistant Headphones so when needed he can tune out everyone, relax, and listen to music. For Terri an deluxe nail kit and a promise to return and do her nails again.
9. A family at school had a fire so I bought 2 outfits for each of the three children.
10. Someone I knew and was not feeling well was unable to purchase Christmas gifts, So  I shopped, paid for, amd wrapped the gifts for this person to give. That way she could experience the gift of giving as well.


What I tried to do this year was think about each person and pick out something fun-when you can't afford fabulous-I'll pick funny any day of the week.

I was myself blessed with  thoughtful gifts. A new pair of riding boots from  my husband and a horse statue 'cause a real horse is not affordable. Timmy made me a beautiful necklace that I will treasure.  One of my best gifts was a phone call from my son Jamie on Christmas day.




Irony- The wreathe showing the pool. Christmas framing summer.