Monday, March 2, 2009

Winter Camping





Outdoor Education- The 5th and 6th grade classes get to experience education in the great outdoors. What better place than nature’s classroom to learn about things like survival, pioneer life, food chains and so much more? What an adventure-a delight-how could I miss such a milestone???

So in an attempt to be a good Mom I took all three of my percious personal business days and went to camp. Outdoor camp in the dead of Michigan Winter. And of course-it rained! The children got a chance to experience "Living History." They took part in French-Canadian fur trading, Michigan lumbering, and Native American Life. Did I mention almost all of it was outside? Did I mention it rained-a lot?? My boots many years old soaked right through, and never managed to dry off before the next morn ing. I went through more pairs of socks and gloves than you can imagince. Thankfully the camp had extra gear for the kids when their stuff soaked through.

A real favorite with the kids was the Pioneer Life Fair where they tried different pioneer skills such as candle dipping, wool spinning, tool use, rope-making, and over-the-fire cooking.I enjoyed the candle making which was inside:)

Along with pioneer skills the children learned about food chains, orienteering,and Timmy's personal favorite the high ropes. The kids had a wonderful time and managed to handle the weather that included rain, more rain, freezing rain, and after everything was REALLY wet-a frosty bone-chilling cold wind, and a temperature drop beow 20 degrees. All that rain made some nice frozen paths for slip slidding away, great for siding down the hill.

In addition to all the fun activities the kids ate together,helped clean up and even had a dance to end the weekend. Team building was accomplished, and the kids became a team. Timmy made it through day 1 and day 2 like a trooper. However by the third morning he was unhappy, over tired, wet through and through and wanted to go home. All in all not bad for a kids with ADD!

Arriving back in GR at 10:30 Friday night I can't remember a time I felt happier to see my own bed! I had about all the education and wet, rainy, uncomfortable clothing I could take for a while. I threw out Timmy's socks and boots that were frozen and smelly. ( Didn't want to expereince the smell when thawed out)
Camp was- all in all -an expereince not to be missed. Next year I will bring rain gear, lots more socks, extra boots, and even a pair of snowpants for me!
THis week well- of course it's World Math Day tomorrow!

No comments: