Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Education is Still my Passion

All in all, during the past few years my school district has done very little to encourage it's teaching staff. The reasons: Working for a second year without a contract; being the lowest paid teachers in the county; having a Superintendant who while giving himself a raise is about to impose a teaching contract where we lose our good insurance, go with a less expense carrier, lose our drug card and pay for our insurance. At the same time the challenge of teaching children in inner city remains.

I am blessed to be assigned to a non-public school where I have to do very little discipline and am allowed to do lots and lots of teaching. I have a wonderful computer lab where I can bring the world into my students lives, challenge their thinking, and become inspired by their ideas.

To this end I would like to share one of the sites I am most inspired by http://www.edutopia.org/ a good read is: "What Works in Public Education !"

Let's Face it...Reflection Makes Learning Stick It is a simple yet powerful idea:
Routinely ask students to think about what they've learned.









1 comment:

Lisa said...

Don't you know he needs that raise to keep making the weekend trip to Saugatuk???

You are an awesome teacher and an inspiration. The system is lucky to have you!

L.